People who go under the knife for different surgeries are extremely careful about knowing what to do and what not to do before the surgery. And once the surgery is done, they think that they need to do nothing. However, people undergoing a surgery, especially Rhinoplasty in Dubai, need to know that post surgery care is equally important!
Care after the first two days after a nasal surgery is crucial. Here are the instructions:
- Drink a lot of liquids (cold is better) and eat only soft foods for two days. Your mouth tends to get dry and therefore you will have to drinking plenty of cold liquids. Avoid taking anything hot for at least 2 days. You can resume your normal diet from the third day or after talking to your doctor.
- Be careful that you don’t put pressure on your nose. So avoid heavy lifting, straining yourself, or vigorous housework. Avoid bending your head below heart level and bumping your nose is a total no-no.
- It is important that you always keep your mouth clean. Brush your teeth gently. However, avoid too much movement of your upper lip. Rinse your after each meal, but don’t gargle. Use a petroleum jelly or lip gloss to keep the nose moist.
- Use a cool air humidifier, especially at night.
- You can change your nasal sling as needed. However, be careful that you do not move your upper lip too much.
- If you experience a nasal splint over the bridge of your nose then be sure that the splint is dry until you visit the doctor for follow-up visit.
- Avoid blowing your nose, unless your doctor gives you a clean check. Restrain from inserting insert anything into your nose and try to avoid sneezing.
- When lying down or sleeping, try to prop your head with the help of a lot of pillows. This will help you easily drain any discharge out the nose.
- Avoid pinching, rubbing or scratching your nostrils.
- Apply ice or ice packs to your nasal area and the eyes. Do this at least for the first 24 hours following surgery. Apply ice for every 20 minutes and do not a hot or warm compresses.
- Your lips and nose tend to get swollen and bruised after the surgery. There will be some numbness in your upper lip. Do not panic as they are just temporary.
- Avoid using nose drops unless the doctor prescribes them to you.
- Avoid drinking alcohol for at least 10 days after the surgery. Alcohol can increase congestion in the nose and interfere with the medication.